SkyCamel

What product for exclusively flying Photorealistic and IFR

SkyCamel

Hi Chris,

I went through most of the postings here to try to figure out what product would be of any interest to me.

I only fly on photorealistic scenery, global coverage (tileproxy¬†ūüėČ) and 99% of the time IFR in jetliners (pmdg 737ngx & LevelD 767) at FL300 or above.

I also have UTX Europe v2 with night lightning but this is only visible to a certain limited FL.

As winter kicks in and I fly more and more in dusk and early night it's looking at a black screen most of the time (unless there're clouds with moonlight above)

So I thought that BM would be a possible product for me until I came across a posting from jjaycee1 and I quote;

BM also is a landclass based addon and will not work on photoreal scenery in regards to lighting.

You need Night Environment if you are flying in a photo scenery like Megascenery for example.

Now I understand (I think) that in case of PR I will not see any road light splaches but I guess I should see the street lights?

So in your professional opinion, and taking into consideration I have a limited budget, what would be the right product for me?

Would BM basic be enough to start with, or do I need to have Vector also from the outset?

I'm sure you understand I wouldn't be able to effort all NE countries (having global PR coverage) so I would like to have something global and affordable (certainly not saying the product is too expensive!)

Concerning NE, does it include agn buildings etc?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Luc

Edited by SkyCamel
added some clarification

Chris Bell

welcome to our forums Luc :)
to give you the right advice i am missing two key elements, first is where do you frequently fly,
the other (and you can PM me this bit) is your budget,

in general if you run BMNG and yes you want Vector Pack as it will expand to every vector data for every existing road int he world,
BMNG is first roads, lights are a secondary element to BMNG, first we bring every road in the world with Vector Pack or with Base alone we only use existing sim data which is extremely poor in comparison,

the vector data portion will get blocked by PR as intended by LM design, but our 3D elements will still appear, this means 3D lights, 3D Bridges and Traffic wil still show over a Photoreal,

but not the textures sim runs for roads as these are redundant when you have a PR active,

this means you will see roads during the day from your PR, traffic will flow over these roads, and bridges will pop where bridges are, cars will also traverse over the PR roads, 

but there will be no splash at night as are are aware and thats intended by LM,

the only way around this is to use Night Environment as it is designed for those areas with Photoreal that doesn't have a night layer,
Night Environment is basically just the night portion of a Photoreal accompanied by library object based lights,

since this is not an easy task as well as requires allot of space Night Environment is available as a regional base only,
which is different from BMNG's worldwide landclass based global format,

see

and 

SkyCamel

Hi Chris,

thanks for taking the time to give me extra information.

I mainly (70%) fly all over Europe, mostly short haul flight 1.5 to 2 hrs flight time (using FScaptain) and always PR

I'm not looking at doing night flight per se, but in wintertime it happens often that my flight would at least end in dusk or night environment.

(I live in Belgium so to date dusk is falling around 16h30)

So to be clear, I would like to have some night light just to avoid a black environment and  not to fly/train VFR night flights.

So accuracy is not a main issue to me as at night I don't see anything of the underlying PR roads anyway.

So just to be clear to what I understood

1) Night time with BM base

I will see 3D lights where default sim roads are located, but no lighted road textures

2)Night time with BM base + Vector

I will see 3D lights where real life road network is located (as seen on PR in day time) but again no lighted road textures)

3)Day time with BM and with or without Vector

Will not have any difference on my PR except if I use Bridges or Traffic then those will be visible.

One unanswered question, does NE provide building autogen aswell at night?

If not, will FSX generate autogen buildings along the roads from Vector?

Cheers,

Luc

Chris Bell

you understand correctly Luc :)

as for ne buildings, NE does not provide any autogen of any kind, NE lights are library objects and not autogen based!
with NE we bring in a perfect Photoreal Nighmap with 3D lighting that match each splash we draw on the ground via our Nightmap layer as seen below,

05.jpg

SkyCamel

Chris, could you tell me (or point me to an image) what would still be visible from FL300 and above at night with clear skies?

I have UTX Europe with roads night light which "bleed through" my PR while taking off or approaching (I think max till FL50)

And that for me is working fine and is sufficient. As explained, my purpose is not to be able to fly VFR and navigate at night,

just to have some eye candy while up there high in the sky.

And if I would make night flights (without any day time part), I could just have PR switched off as I wouldn't see anything of it anyway,

and then I would have the whole of Europe covered by UTX with everything (LM, vector, splash, traffic, .. etc) being visible, although of course not as accurate as NE.

Just to explain why I would need the BM night light to be visible at FL300 and above

Also, I would only have "use" of this during 5-6 months of the year, during winter season, as I don't change my time on FSX, just fly in the actual real time whenever I'm flying.

But now when I make some flight in the late afternoon I usually end up flying in dusk or night time, hence the reason I'm looking to have some night lights.

Cheers,

Luc

Chris Bell

on the top navigation bar you will find our Video tab behind many video's of our work,

here's FL350 NYC

the_saguaro

I am a heavy user of photoreal scenery. I use BMNG and turn off the Megascenery Earth overlay at night. Then BMNG works great and is more cost effective than buying individual  Night Environment states. IMO there is no reason to load photoscenery at night since you can't see it anyway. What a difference these add-ons make.

Hope this helps.

TS.

• Like 1

SkyCamel

Hi TS,

thanks for your insight. I agree, photo-realistic scenery doesn't make sense at night. However in my case I don't do night flights, but in wintertime It happens more then often that I start a flight in afternoon who last until dusk or night. It's just not practical to switch of photo-realistic scenery halfway into the flight because it interrupts the flight to reload the scenery.

Cheers,

Luc

• Like 1

the_saguaro

Understood. Are you on P3D? If so, it is easy to turn off the Photoscenery by clicking on World | Scenery Library and turn off the tiles. All will be good then. Yes, I realize it will temporarily affect the immersion value but it is a good compromise for me. One thing to keep in mind, is if you are using the Default ATC in IFR you will need to request a new clearance.

• Like 1

SkyCamel

Nope, I'm on FSX with tileproxy and I'm using VOXATC

• Like 1

the_saguaro

10-4.

Happy Holiday Season!

• Like 1