Andy1252

a really basic question . . .

Andy1252

Hi, I just found out about you via a link in a post elsewhere. I've looked at your Black Marble and I'm not sure if it's what I looking for. My current issue is with the awful roads in P3D/FSX. I'm primarily a P3Dv4 user, and have sunk a large amount of money into addon scenery there - I have all the ORBX products and a huge number of other vendors' large airports. I was perfectly happy in that world until I started playing seriously with X-Plane 11, and one of the main things that knocked me out there is the quality of the roads. They actually look like roads, rather than the strips of badly cut canvas that get laid all over the place in P3D.

So my question is this - does your Black Marble & Vector combination provide a replacement for the default roads in P3D and if so, how would that tie in with ORBX's Global Vector product? I know I could just disable the roads in the ORBX product if need be. I'm not that bothered about the night lighting aspect, it's the roads that are bugging me.

And am I correct in understanding that your vector product would only replace the default roads? So anything supplied in an addon would still take precedence?

Sorry for such a basic question, and I'll be happy to be pointed to anything you've already posted on the site (but that I've obviously missed!) that will answer my query.

cheers,

Andy

• Haha 1

Chris Bell

welcome to our forums Andy :)
if that's small question; whats a big one for you?

you should do some reading on the forums; Black Marble is a configurable worldwide road system with night lighting,
we replace all roads, bridge, and traffic data worldwide from all vendors and native sim all together,

"the strips of badly cut canvas" are road pictures baked with Orbx ground textures,
we do not use any textures we use real vector data with Black Marble, our data is worldwide and complete,
our allows us to draw every road on the planet using real vector that's rendered live on the fly!
without the need to compensate via baked textures with roads,

• Thanks 1

Andy1252
2 hours ago, Chris Bell said:

we use real vector data with Black Marble, our data is worldwide and complete,

Hi Chris,

thanks for the response, just one more question and then I'll decide whether or not to try this all out. Are these road/bridge improvements only effective at night settings, or is this a 24hr replacement? The emphasis in pretty much everything I've seen on the site is on the Night Environment, and although I'll agree it all looks very impressive that's not what floats my boat - I'm very much a low and slow guy and just like to cruise around checking out the scenery, which means daylight or at most dusk for me. But your comment above implies to me that this is a full replacement that would apply at all times.

But hey - I may well try it all anyway, after all you can never have too many add-ons! <grin>

cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

Mark Greenough

Hi Andy,

this add-on is new to me as well but I can tell you it is a 24 hour/permanent scenery - and I'm really impressed.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy1252
2 hours ago, Mark Greenough said:

Hi Andy,

this add-on is new to me as well but I can tell you it is a 24 hour/permanent scenery - and I'm really impressed.

Regards,

Mark

HI Mark,

thanks for the info. I've bought a copy of the Base, Vector and Bridges so I'll hopefully see some good things in the sim soon. After discovering the combination of XP-11 and Ortho4XP and seeing the realism of the roads in that environment P3D is really losing its shine for me, and I need to get that back after all the time and money I've spent on it. Hopefully, this will do it!

cheers,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jjaycee1
10 hours ago, Andy1252 said:

HI Mark,

thanks for the info. I've bought a copy of the Base, Vector and Bridges so I'll hopefully see some good things in the sim soon. After discovering the combination of XP-11 and Ortho4XP and seeing the realism of the roads in that environment P3D is really losing its shine for me, and I need to get that back after all the time and money I've spent on it. Hopefully, this will do it!

cheers,

Andy

Chris has done a great job at trying to improve the roads in P3D. I totally agree with you in regard to the realism of the roads in XP11 which are either default OSM based and/or enhanced further by Ortho4XP.

What Chris has done is introduce much more realistic roads data into the P3D sim in an attempt to make P3D more road realistic for those simmers who are P3D users and have invested heavily in P3D addons, don't wish to "swap" sim, or are not interested in having both P3D and XP11.

This post is NOT a "this sim is better than that sim" but addresses the opinions of Andy1252 in regard to his observations of roads in XP versus those in P3D. BM and it's associated addons will enhance P3D to a more realistic level. By the way i totally agree with Andy 1252's comments. XP is now my goto sim, but I still have P3D (with BM).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Chris Bell

road texture for both day and night will soon be an option in BMNG CPanel,, along with new element controls we will introduce,
there will always be an overlap with sim native ground textures as they have "baked" roads on them which are pretty but not configurable as they are part of an image,
at night with our lighting it is less noticeable as we override all night textures with plain black containing no splashes or any other color,
at day time you will also see some default textures containing those image roads that do not follow vector roads,
you can still use a photoreal day road textures; atm this is not covered by BMNG but will be soon,

you can see an example of our photoreal based textures here on our 3D Bridges,

2018-5-10_14-31-22-338.jpg

2018-5-10_14-32-25-203.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1