hjmx

Some Questions

Question

hjmx

@ Chris Bell

I am a bit confused about your products and what they are for. May I ask some questions please.

What is the difference between Black Marble and Night Environment? Is BM the successor of NE?

Black Marble is streets/roads + lighting only, right?  If I want a full vector sim (streets, coastline, waterbodies, ...) I need FTX Vector or UTX, where I can disable streets/roads/lighting and use it then with Black Marble?

The whole Black Marbel package (incl 2 y support) is about 166 $. To spend such an amount for one product is not an easy decision. Are there some reviews about Black Marble? What does the traffic pack? Can I fine adjust traffic (highways 20%, city roads 10 % etc? ..). How is it on performance.

3D-Bridges don't look very convincing, at least that one on you product site.

How does Black Marble play with FTX full fat regions (like Southern California, Pacific Northwest, ...?

How much HD space do I need for the full package. How does it influence loading time?

I think you you should provide a better product description as you have now (maybe a Manual?). I purchased some NE titles some time ago and I would like to be convinced to buy the new product, but in the momentt I am hesitating.

One last question, what is Blue Marble for. Only for flying at high altitude (which one)?

Thanks for listening

Harry

6 answers to this question

Chris Bell

Hi Harry :)

all the info you need is right here,

take a few moments to brief through it;

if you're still unsure afterwards im right here ;)

you can also check out Black Marble official homepage for more product info,

http://blackmarble.chrisbelldesigns.com/ (a hint... the links are tabs in the navigation bar at the top ;) )

nav.png

to better understand Blue Marble have a look here

hjmx

Thank you Chris, but sorry this does not answer my questions ...

Black Marble is streets/roads + lighting only, right?  If I want a full vector sim (streets, coastline, waterbodies, ...) I need FTX Vector or UTX, where I can disable streets/roads/lighting and use it then with Black Marble also for day time?

The whole Black Marbel package (incl 2 y support) is about 166 $. To spend such an amount for one product is not an easy decision. Are there some reviews about Black Marble? What does the traffic pack? Can I fine adjust traffic (highways 20%, city roads 10 % etc? ..). How is it on performance.

How does Black Marble play with FTX full fat regions (like Southern California, Pacific Northwest, ...?

How much HD space do I need for the full package. How does it influence loading time?

You should really make a more comprehensive product description ... at a prominent place on the product page. I am not interested to read through hundreds of posts.

Sorry to say that,

Harry

Chris Bell

you are not spending this much on one product, these are 4 separate products!

yes traffic is adjusted via traffic slider controls in Sim, as well as via Black Marble manager (you can select which road class you want traffic on to begin with),

we have a patch and manual instructions for orbx/utx; and yes you see our roads day or night! at night you also have lights along our roads,

approximate 16GB space required for all 4 items,

reviews are served by our happy customers!

just head out to video and pic area :)

most of our customers are chatting within a private access area when it comes to technical; beyond that you can ask away none technical questions in the general discussion area or pre sale section,

jjaycee1

hjmx, welcome to the world of Black Marble:)

I will try to illustrate what BM is and does. First of all I would suggest you take a look at https://forums.chrisbelldesigns.com/forum/61-members-videos-and-screenshots/ for screenshots that I and other happy customers have posted.

Now to answer a couple of your questions where I can be of help.

BM Vector is nothing like FTX Vector. FTX Vector is a complete vector data addon in regard to coastlines, waterways, etc and must not be confused with BM vector.

BM Vector is the data of ALL the roads in the world....that's it, Roads worldwide. No coastlines etc, so yes you would still use FTX Vector for use in all non FTX Regions addons like their OLC Landclass addons. You would not use FTX Vector when in a full fat FTX Region, because all the vector data is included in the FTX Region's data files. FTX Vector adds nothing to the FTX REgions at all, and so is not required. The Global and OLC FTX addons do require FTX Vector so that you get much more accurate coastlines, waterways, pylons, golf courses etc.

BM Vector will add 1:1 worlwide roads, with 10 different road classes from Motorways through to Residential streets, footpaths tertiary and secondary, and highways. The complete set of worldwide roads. FTX Regions and FTX Vector only provide 4 classes of roads. With these BM roads comes road lighting, which is more extensive than that in FTX and is designed to run along the BM Vector roads.

3D Bridges is another addon and you have already given your opinion on that, so I will not comment further on 3D Bridges.

The BM Traffic pack is not yet released due a couple of things Chris needs to sort out for it to work with the BM Manager. It will be released shortly. Yes you will be able to control traffic levels as you already do via the sims road traffic options/percentage.

Regarding FTX compatibility, Chris and beta testers have worked tirelessly over several months and this has resulted in the BM Vector Roads and lights being compatible with Orbx scenery addons. I would add a caveat to that and say that FTX Australia is not totally compatible "out of the box" but it is with a bit of manipulating. ALL the other FTX Regions like PNW, PFJ, SCA,NCA,CRM,NOR,GES and GEN are compatible and work well with BM, and most importantly BM enhances them even more.

BM lights is not a replacement for NE, and will work with the BM lights resulting in a greater light coverage of the area. It does have a FPS impact though so you need a good CPU and GPU. The CPU and GPU should at least meet the specs suggested by Lockheed Martin for P3D v4.

To give you an impression, visually of BM at work, I will add a few of my pics and let you judge for yourself. Regarding a purchasing suggestion, may I suggest, BM Base, BM Vector with Orbx patch. If you buy BM and take 2 years support on BM Base, you are covered for 2 years on ALL BM addons. Chris may wish to confirm that.

Here are some pics for you to ponder over and decide if you want your sim to look as detailed and good by getting BM: The pics are without 3D Bridges so you can see the pics with your preferred BM addons of Base, Vector and Orbx patch. All the shots are from FTX addons Regions , OLCs and Global.

2017-9-13_11-27-26-301.thumb.jpg.7c5f227ff309289a894bdaf92292d62f.jpg2017-9-28_12-26-49-984.thumb.jpg.4cec82ac5a0ca2d8c70b5d8dc9c5170e.jpg

These are in SAK at Anchorage, showing the roads complexity versus SAK 4 road classes2017-10-3_21-14-41-892.thumb.jpg.51e4b2962d5b34fc11b9513ecfe0e5ae.jpg2017-10-3_21-15-34-247.thumb.jpg.ffb243349689fffcac79f20ae4100ed5.jpg. Dusk & night

Edited by jjaycee1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HighBypass

HI Harry,

What sim are you using? jjaycee's points are very valid and as you can see, he's using P3D. I run FSX:SE. I have photoreal scenery for England and NE for the UK. I purchased BM Base only for now and am extremely happy with how it lights up the rest of the sim world. I have barely touched the default settings. except to experiment where it brought my system to it's knees with stupid quantities of lights! Normal performance impact is not really noticeable.  I'm looking forward to being able to purchase Vector sometime in the near future. I may have to revisit the settings once I do, but no big deal.

NE as you probably already know, having purchased some of them, works over photoreal scenery. BM doesn't - it fills in the gaps in your road network where you don't have photoreal installed.

EDIT - Blue Marble is for flying at high altitude it gives you photoreal textures out near the horizon.

Edited by HighBypass
  • Thanks 1

hjmx

Thank you guys ! You have answered most of my questions and I have now a clearer picture of Black Marble. In the moment I am considering to update my hardware and after this you will find me in the customer section of the forum.

See you then. Cheers,

Harry

• Like 2