Black Marble

Chris Bell

I hope the development for 'Black Marble' doesn't get affected by 'mission creep'. It's good to know that you're looking past the primary purpose of the product but please don't make us wait any more than you need to! 9_9

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, krazyk said:

I hope the development for 'Black Marble' doesn't get affected by 'mission creep'. It's good to know that you're looking past the primary purpose of the product but please don't make us wait any more than you need to! 9_9

I must agree. Chris is number 1 when its comes to night in P3D, and number 1 as well in support and communications. ( Never saw him once replay to someone like "you didn't pay nothing yet we owe you nothing..." Like few developers that the piss went up their head. But, Chris i guess all we really want is NIGHT ! :D

Its "amazing" i just cant fly at night because of how unrealistic it is. Luckily we got Chris taking care of it. 

Edited by Roi1862
  • Like 1

On 22/6/2016 at 1:24 PM, Chris Bell said:

Thank you Todd,

Black Marble is separate of Night Environment product line,

they work interdependently of each other; or seamlessly with each other! :)

Hi Chris

Do you mind elaborate this?

This is a very long thread, so maybe you already did that. Sorry if you did..

Edited by Morten
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any exciting news for us, Chris? In hindsight, given that I'm so anxious I should've applied for a beta position so I could keep my temptation at bay but here I am troubling you again for a few spare moments to enlighten us with the progress.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krazyk said:

Any exciting news for us, Chris? In hindsight, given that I'm so anxious I should've applied for a beta position so I could keep my temptation at bay but here I am troubling you again for a few spare moments to enlighten us with the progress.

Nice to see iam not the only one whos anxious about it. Summer soon over not many days off after that for flight sim... :(

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys,

This is very flattering and very encouraging

We haven’t stopped working hard for you guys,

Our dev team had to slow down bit due to one of our team member promotion,

Black Marble main application is ready!

95% Extended Data is ready!

3D bridges are in process!

If all goes well we hope to start beta in two-three weeks from today,

• Like 2

Best thing about night in flight sim, is if you make it good its equal to photo scenery. At day time you can see everything and when its generic textures like orbx, UTX and the rest you dont really see how it is down there but a close replica based on terrain info. At night no scenery can be seen so only lights can be seen as its seen in the real world. So if you do it right (like i am sure Chris will...) you will get much closer do what you see at night in real world.

• Like 1

we got it right alright,

the pics i posted is exactly what you can expect in your Sim 1:1!

these are simple V key press; saved as jpg for online, no touch ups what so ever!

we derive this from real world LIVE navigation data that is accurate as of few weeks ago!

(we will use the latest data available the same day we send data for final print)

the grid you will see at night can be used for real night navigation training!

you can expect exactly what you see in real world replicated in our night grid, worldwide!

i can only post the images from our Sim,

we don't know how the night looks like in many of the places we posted images from,

local pilots can only attest if we got it right, i believe one already confirmed few posts back,

he actually requested a specific position from his hometown so he can judge; we were all very curious to hear his feedback,

10 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

we got it right alright,

the pics i posted are what you can expect 1:1!

these simple V key press and saved as jpg for online; no touch ups what so ever!

we derive this from real world navigation data that is accurate as of few weeks ago!

the grid you will see at night can be used for real night navigation training!

you can expect exactly what you see in real world replicated in our night grid,

Sounds and looks perfect Chris ! 

Iam not quite sure how you make those things but you think it is possible to make secondary or main roads without lights but once coming close to a city or a small town road will be lighted ? Again just a question or suggestion... Many countris here in Europe dosnt have roads lighted all the way (even freeways !) unlike the USA. 

Edited by Roi1862
  • Like 2

with Black Marble you are the architect of your own night environment!

you can configure each road class any way you wish literally!

think of Black Marble to Night like a canvas is to a paint brush,

we place all the data for you as accurate as can be (the canvas),

you use our GUI Manager (your paint brush); to than color the night away (colors),

we invented this game my friend,

everyone else are just playing catch up when it comes to night ;)

for day textures you go to orbx, for proper worldwide night grid, textures, and road network, you come to us!

Black marble covers you worldwide; and Night Environment expands your local night view in your favorite area,

the best of both worlds seamlessly blended to work together!

you wont know where Night Environment ends and Black Marble begins :)

2 hours ago, Chris Bell said:

we invented this game my friend,

everyone else are just playing catch up when it comes to night ;)

for day textures you go to orbx, for proper worldwide night grid, textures, and road network, you come to us!

Black marble covers you worldwide; and Night Environment expands your local night view in your favorite area,

the best of both worlds seamlessly blended to work together!

you wont know where Night Environment ends and Black Marble begins :)

Hey Chris - Really looking forward to this as I love night flying in the sim.  Does this replace the night 'tile' textures??  In other words, I have a bunch of generic orange tiles in all of my urban areas (not sure if they are from UTX, FTXG or default tiles??).  They are great from a distance as it does give that 'lit up' appearance that you see with cities. They are a bit too bright and don't look that great when flying over them though as they are repeating textures.  Will Black Marble touch on this or is it focusing only on vector road lights?  Thanks and keep up the great work!

Eric

• Like 1

Thank you Eric,

im not sure i follow?

we do bring in our own set of textures with Black Marble,

10 minutes ago, Chris Bell said:

Thank you Eric,

im not sure i follow?

we do bring in our own set of textures with Black Marble,

Hey Chris - I attached an image of how my night looks right now in P3D.  You can see the bright textures that I am speaking of. That's good news if you are providing new textures to replace these.  Again, I am unsure if these are default textures or not! Thanks!

Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v3 7_14_2016 5_15_51 PM.png

OMG NO!!!

go to the first page and start going one page at a time, there are plenty more pics you can see our night in :) 

Here is Black Marbled Sim vs. Default Sim below

BlackMarble.Sim.VAS5.jpg

here is default Sim

Default.Sim.jpg

As much time as I have spent in awe of your pics...I failed to even notice....ha!!  Looks fantastic and happy to hear it will be customize-able!

• Like 1

Me again Chris ! Just seeking clarification between NE and BMarble. You say the 2 products are complimentary but I am struggling (as usual) to comprehend the compatibility. An example say is NE France, your current most advanced NE. It covers all of France and the options included are vast including secondary & tertiary road. So If BMarble is global, just talking roads for now, not bridges etc, then doesn't BMarble illuminate all roads in France if we choose Primary, secondary and tetiaryroads in the Options, and thus make the NE Roads redundant?

Edited by jjaycee1
  • Like 1

Hi JJ,

you are confusing two different topics here, ill try to explain...

yes Black Marble uses the similar road data Night Environment does over a given area,

yet these system are very different from each other and designed to operate over different conditions and elements,

when NE region is active over BM covered region there will not be any redundancy; BM data will be excluded if an active NE region installed over that area,

there are other differences between these two lighting systems; they each can operate under different conditions and circumstances,

one example is when one uses photoreal over any landclass based element; a photoreal layer will block landclass layer elements natively,

in this scenario NE will give you the same exact coverage as Black Marble does for your none photoreal covered areas,

or in general if you just want to get a even more enhanced night views for a particular area NE is the solution regardless,

On 27/07/2016 at 4:49 PM, Chris Bell said:

If all goes well we hope to start beta in two-three weeks from today,

Thanks Chris. I'm sure you already have a team all set to really put Black Marble through its paces but if you need any additional testing, I'd be more than honored to give Black Marble a go myself. Either way, do keep those screenshots and GUI updates coming. Black Marble is on top of my to-buy list!

• Like 1

i know some of you waiting to hear about our progress,

i can report that that out team has made tremendous progress the past few weeks with our new worldwide 3D bridge element,

as you can see from the pics below (from our test area Miami overlooking KMIA) beautiful bridges with levels naturally weaving, crisscrossing and intersecting with each other,

this is another ground breaking achievement that was never attempted before on any scale due to its monumental complexity,

yes... we did it! :)  these also come with proper day/night textures that work as expected!

2016-8-2_9-37-8-963.jpg

2016-8-2_9-36-26-141.jpg

2016-8-2_9-37-58-259.jpg

2016-8-2_9-39-38-474.jpg

• Like 3

Those pics look fantastic.

Eagerly awaiting for release......

When appropriate please let us know how to make FTX Global & Vector & UTX compatible with Black Marble.

(what needs to be deactivated or uninstalled from those two)

Thank You Chris.

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 1