Considering purchasing

jgoggi

Hi, I would like to purchase Night Environment Italy for P3D v3, but what is holding me off is the fact that the lights are visible also during day and the NE entries should be manually checked/unchecked in the scenery list before flying. What if I do a flight that starts during the day and ends at night? Are there any chances that in a future upgrade this limitation will be overcome?

Thank you,

• Like 1

Hi there, I only have NE for the British Isles but I can assure you in that product the lights do not show up during the day - not sure why it would be different for Italy.

I just leave it activated all the time and the lights turn on and off at the appropriate times. Perhaps someone who has the Italy version could confirm if it is the same there?

Cheers

Stu

• Like 1

No, I don't refer specifically to Italy, I have just read the NE manual and, under the paragraph "FRAMERATE CONSIDERATION", it states:

"Due to the nature of these lights they are also loaded in day time. Using current technology there is no way to avoid this. Therefore we strongly recommend disabling this scenery for your day light flights. Using the FSX scenery manager this is easy. We can also recommend Scenery Config Editor. This is a superb freeware tool that makes it easy to manipulate your scenery collection."

• Like 1

No, I don't refer specifically to Italy, I have just read the NE manual and, under the paragraph "FRAMERATE CONSIDERATION", it states:

"Due to the nature of these lights they are also loaded in day time. Using current technology there is no way to avoid this. Therefore we strongly recommend disabling this scenery for your day light flights. Using the FSX scenery manager this is easy. We can also recommend Scenery Config Editor. This is a superb freeware tool that makes it easy to manipulate your scenery collection."

Ah right I see what you mean. Yes they are on all the time but you can't see them during the day. It may be that they have a performance impact during the day and night, but they are not visible in the day. I have them set pretty low (25% for all lights) and I don't notice any impact on performance. I suppose if you wanted to set them higher then you would need to turn them off for daylight flying.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Stu, you are on the money there!
to clarify (basically reiterate what Stu already explained);  NE 3D lights will consume VAS during the day as well if left on (they will not be visible; rather loaded to memory)
this is not a flaw in how NE works; it is just the way our Sim treats the models; there is no instructions based on time of day for the library to work or not;
we use alpha layer in textures to make them invisible during the day time; hence they are still working and consuming some memory,
the comment was placed in the manual to help customers understand impact in the event they need to free up day time recurses

Sorry Chris for asking a second question. Is NE supposed to increase the lights distance visibility? I have P3D v3.1 and ORBX Global (no ORBX vector and landclass) and yesterday installed the NE Berlin area demo. I tried base+0+2 and base+0+3, but I didn't notice an increase in the distance at which lights are visible, more or less the same distance where ORBX lights are visible.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Berlin is an old demo,
you wont see our light radius change; ever!
it is one of the distinctive features that separates us from the rest,
we push a 60Nm radius; you wont see any lights flick on or off in front of you;
it happens way ahead or way behind you; the coverage in Berlin i s limited to the city bounds to start with,

you can get further educated here -

Thank you again, Chris. At this point I have no doubts and will go for it, I only hope that this 60 NM radius won't influence the fps too much.

• Like 1